Submission to the South Australia Murray-Darling Basin Royal Commission
Thank you for the opportunity to make a submission to the South Australian Murray-Darling Basin Royal Commission.
This submission is informed by research through The Australia Institute and as a former employee of the Murray-Darling Basin Authority (MDBA). I was employed by the Murray-Darling Basin Authority and its predecessor, the Murray-Darling Basin Commission from 2005 until 2017. My last role with the MDBA was as Director of Environmental Water Policy from 2011. I spent six months on secondment with the Commonwealth Environment Water Office in late 2016 and early 2017. I am a Chartered Accountant and a member of the Australian Institute of Charted Accountants.
This submission will address:
- Unlawful aspects of the Murray-Darling Basin Plan;
- Protection of environmental water;
- Manipulation of water recovery numbers;
- Manipulation of Cap / Sustainable Diversion Limits;
- and Independent and peer reviews.